Thursday, September 2, 2010

Wulai Ulay Urai

In January 2003 I moved from England to Taiwan. The plan was to teach English for 6 months to a year and then continue traveling to other Asian hotspots. It didnt work out like that I am still (happily) here. Taipei was like a 24 hour disco, and I think I was drunk and tired for the entire 2 years I lived there. During that time we managed a bar called DV8 (and destroyed it), put on music events at clubs like the Living Room, started our band and imbibe a lot.


Two years was enough though and Yayun and I decided we should move on. We chose Wulai (烏來)because it was close enough to Taipei that I could feasibly commute to work everyday and because it was an Atayal area (Yayun's tribe). Also because it looked like this:









Good choice I think. We can still imbibe a lot, and after 5 years I still really love it here. Great friends, great swimming and fishing, too many snakes and ignorant tourists who drive an hour to eat 'mountain pig sausage' without realising its the same ground up selection of snouts and hooves they could buy in any nightmarket. Mugan!

No comments:

Post a Comment